Hello everyone, We hope you’re well. As you have hopefully all clocked, the inaugural Community Rail Week is now only three weeks away. It’s heartening to hear all the activities planned for the week, from a Pledge Day at Coventry Station, to try the train trips, to question time style debates with young people in Bishop Auckland. We plan to have a digital toolkit out to members and partners on Mon 4 Oct so look out for that; it aims to help you promote the week, your work, and the Go Green by Train message.
As always, if you have any feedback on this bulletin, or to contribute to future editions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have extended the deadline for our annual members’ survey to this Fri 1Oct. All members have been sent a link, and we’d urge you again to use the chance to feed in your views. We are keen to secure responses from all areas of England, Wales and Scotland.
We are currently inviting applications for board members to play a role in shaping the future direction of the organisation and community rail. See our board elections information pack for what this entails and nomination form. Applications must be received by 2pm 14 Oct. Our AGM, including board elections, will take place online, 2-3.30pm, 2 November; invitations will be issued in the coming fortnight.
Creative projects webinar
A reminder to book your place at our upcoming webinar, Engaging communities through storytelling and creative projects. This online event will cover different ways to use creative approaches to engage communities, including developing understanding of how storytelling can be used with powerful results. Our panellists will provide examples, covering a variety of approaches, plus interactive Q&As will enable everyone to share ideas and experiences. It takes place 10am-12noon, 12 Oct. Book here
Days Out by Rail
Our Days Out by Rail campaign drew to a close last week, and we have been really pleased with the range of member involvement and positive coverage. Alice will be sharing learning and future plans in the coming months. Thanks to all who got involved.
Active travel proposals
Core funding for active travel and a new Highways Act to improve sustainability and public health are among the recommendations for government in a report by the All Party Parliamentary Group for Cycling & Walking, to which Community Rail Network submitted evidence. The government is due to release its new Cycling and Walking Investment Strategy in the coming months. Read the report.
News & events from our partners
- Go Ahead and Arup outline vision for sustainable transport hubs and active travel
- Transport Focus Covid-19 return to rail summary – latest research summary
News from our members
- Heart of Wales Line welcomes new community rail officer
- Heart of Wales Line trail navigates its way onto Ordinance Survey digital maps
- Esk Valley CRP welcomes Young Rail Professionals volunteers
- Haltwhistle Station improvements, one year on
- Urban fox artwork turning heads at Birmingham’s Wylde Green Station
- Flimby Primary School transforms Cumbrian Station
- Commemorative bench unveiled at Cheshire’s Holmes Chapel Station
- Southeastern Communities Rail Partnership news round-up