Hi everybody. We hope this finds you all safe and well. This week, we’re pleased to provide the first instalment of our new frequently asked questions on the Williams-Shapps Plan for Rail, plus updates on our AGM and Days Out campaign, and news from across the community rail world.
As always, if you have feedback, or to contribute stories, contact email@example.com.
Williams – Shapps Plan for Rail FAQs
Following our Williams–Shapps plan updates in the last Community Rail News, we have produced an FAQs on rail transformation for those working and volunteering in community rail. This is collated from members’ queries about the changes planned over the coming years, such as on the structure of Great British Railways, timescales, community rail funding and relationships. While many details are still to be worked out, we will produce regular updates, using this document to feed through your queries and ensure the latest information is going out to our members. If you haven’t already, also take a look at our briefing on the plan and summary on National Rail Contracts. If you have any further questions to feed in, please speak to your usual contact in our team.
Days Out by Rail campaign
Our eight-week Days Out by Rail campaign has got off to a great start, with lots of activity from members highlighted on social media (#DaysOutbyRail), including a stylish new poster campaign from Abbey Line CRP and Essex & South Suffolk CRP resuming its ‘bucket & spade train‘ activity after a two year hiatus. Take a look at the Days Out by Rail page on our Scenic Rail Britain site to find out more and explore destinations that can be reached on community rail lines. Community rail groups can also download a range of marketing resources and a template press release, to get involved. As always, if you have any feedback or want to get involved, please get in touch Alice.
Community Rail Awards
A big thank you to everyone who’s entered this year’s Community Rail Awards. Despite all the challenges of the past year, we are pleased to see 130 entries, demonstrating that community rail has stepped up to the plate in helping communities across the country. The shortlist and gala dinner evening booking details will be published on our website, Tuesday 31 August.
Annual general meeting & board election
We will hold our Annual General Meeting on Tues 2 Nov 2021, 2-3.30pm. Following the success of last year’s event, it will again take place on Zoom. Please save the date. Further information will be available shortly, including booking links, agenda and registration process. We are also inviting applications for board members, to help shape the direction of the organisation. See our board elections info pack and nomination form. All applications must be received by 2pm on 14 Oct 2021.
Partner news & external events
- New research released by Rail Delivery Group shows value of rail to local economies
- Active travel schemes given government boost
- South Western Railway publishes first Social Value Report
- GTR work with communities to encourage people back to rail
- LNER launches eco-friendly rail travel poster competition
- Transport Focus Covid-19 return to rail – latest research summary
News from our members
- Sustainability policy is the way forward for Southeast Communities Rail Partnership
- Award presentation for Mytholmroyd Station Partnership
- New Wigan bus service connects rail with country park
- New station mural celebrates history of Birmingham’s Jewellery Quarter
- Hope Valley Explorer links Peak District tourist destinations
- Buxton’s bumblebee safari is bee-rilliant