ACoRP and The Prince’s Trust are collaborating to help community rail partnerships and groups engage more with young people and work with local Prince’s Trust programmes.
Community rail has a great deal to offer young people. It can provide access to opportunities they might otherwise think are out of reach or they may not have previously thought about, offer sustainable, safe, inclusive transport, and promote skills and career pathways related to rail.
The Prince’s Trust can help your partnership or group engage with young people, offering advice and support on running work experience, skills development and support connecting with young people with your projects and activities.
Who are The Prince’s Trust?
The Prince’s Trust are a national youth charity helping 11 to 30 year-olds who are unemployed or struggling in education to transform their lives. The Trust provide young people chance to embrace exciting opportunities through their range of programmes to give young people the tools, skills and confidence they need to get ahead. These include building confidence, work experience and support for starting a business.
How can you get involved?
One of community rail’s great strengths is wide range of projects and activities taking place across the country. There are already a number of projects involving and engaging young people and this is a great way to build a sense of pride and place in their communities, while providing skills and experiences they can take into the workplace.
Here are some projects and activities ideas that you can get young people involved in:
- Rail confidence and travel skills programmes for young people starting/looking for work;
- Promoting sustainable and active travel with young people;
- Community projects to renovate stations and develop social enterprises;
- Community gardening and biodiversity projects;
- Arts and heritage projects to engage young people in local ‘place-making’;
- Promoting community rail volunteering and work experience among young people;
- Promoting careers, opportunities and work experience schemes in the rail industry;
- Developing transferable employability skills;
- Developing entrepreneurial skills to develop commercial businesses in a community rail setting;
- Diversity and social inclusion campaigns;
- Consultations, focus groups and panels to help young people have a voice in rail.
What are the benefits for your organisation?
Working with The Prince’s Trust can open up a number of benefits for your partnership or group. There are fantastic press and PR opportunities to be had, working with one of the country’s most well-known and respected youth charities, and access to new funding opportunities when evidencing working with the trust.
Get in touch
Our operations team are your first point of contact to discuss how you can partner with The Prince’s Trust in your area. They are on hand to provide ideas and advice on building youth involvement into your projects and plans and link you with a local Prince’s Trust rep. Get in touch with Paul (Midlands & South), Daniel (South), Ian (North) or Rhiannon (Wales) to start the conversation.