Hello everyone. We’ve had a lot of political and economic upheaval since the last Community Rail News, with a new Prime Minister, new Secretary of State for Transport, and a new Rail Minister. Much has been written in the media about the establishment of Great British Railways, but our understanding remains that there is ongoing commitment to the aspirations in the Plan for Rail. Please rest assured that we will continue to liaise closely with DfT and GBR Transition Team colleagues to ensure community rail is at the table, contributing its unique insights, and recognised for the contribution it makes. We will update you as and when we can.
This week sees the publication of our 2021-22 Annual Report, which sets out what we have delivered to support and champion community rail, and contains an inspirational array of stories from across the network. See the report here.
Thanks to everyone who joined our AGM yesterday. We will shortly be uploading the recording to our website, with a presentation on our annual report and initial views on our priorities for next year. Do keep an eye out for this. A warm welcome on board to our two new board members: Caroline Pearce and Karen Hornby. You will be able to see all our board members here shortly.
Webinar on station buildings
Book your place now on our next webinar at 10am-12pm on Tuesday 15 Nov. It will look at what community rail groups need to know before taking on redundant railway buildings and developing them for community benefit.
The discussion will also explore how to engage your community and other key partners to ensure the successful transformation of disused railway property into thriving hubs. Book your place.
A big thank you to everyone who participated in Community Rail Network’s members’ survey for 2022. We received 100 responses in total and, as ever, have carefully analysed the results to inform our planning for the next year. We were pleased to see significant increases in the number of members highly rating the support we provide, the value we offer, and growing levels of engagement with our services. Read the write-up here.
If you have any news stories, please email our communications team on firstname.lastname@example.org
Richard and Jools
- Northern encourages customers to ditch the car this winter with new ‘Dales Railcard’
- ‘I Came by Train’ sustainability campaign launched by Trainline
- Blooming stations celebrated across the South Western Railway network
- Rail network unites in support of White Ribbon Day
- Petersfield Station’s ‘free shop’ is keeping the local community warm this winter
- Friends of Buxton Station turn trashed poppies into recycled tributes
- Worcestershire CRP begin developing ‘Rail Trails’ project
- Southeast Communities Rail Partnership celebrate success of ‘Try a Train’ project
- Tyne Valley CRP support community group’s adoption of Manors Station
- East Grinstead celebrates becoming a more accessible station