Hello everyone. We hope this newsletter finds you all well and keeping cool through another week of hot weather.
Community Rail Awards
On Monday the shortlisted entries for the 2022 Community Rail Awards were announced: congratulations to all involved in these inspiring initiatives. See the full shortlist here, plus important information for shortlistees. As ever the judges were bowled over by the range of work – thank you to everyone who took the time to submit an entry. Please make sure you book your place at the Awards night in Manchester on 5 October, when the winners will be announced.
Welcome to David
We are pleased to welcome David Littlefair to the Community Rail Network team, as youth engagement project coordinator: he’ll be dedicated to coordinating work under the DfT Tackling Loneliness with Transport grant. Find out more about David and his details on our Meet the team web page, and look out for further updates as this exciting project gets under way.
Last week we submitted Community Rail Network’s response to the DfT’s consultation (now closed) on the legislative changes to set up Great British Railways. Thank you to all who responded to our mini survey and fed into our response: we will keep drawing on this input in our direct engagement with the GBR Transition Team too. Read our response here.
Dates for the diary
A few quick reminders for forthcoming training and events:
- On 16 Aug, 10:15-12:15, Permissions to work at stations will provide an overview of permissions needed for projects at stations, including input from Network Rail. This workshop is online; register here.
- On 1 Sept, 11-12:30, we are running a session for CRPs in England and Wales on applying to the Community Rail Development Fund. Register here.
- On 20 Sept, Networking for CRP Chairs takes place in Birmingham. For those who can’t attend, we will be holding an online session on 29 September. Chairs will receive an invite and booking link from their Support and Development team contact.
- On 1 Nov, 2-3:30, our AGM takes place online. Full details are available here, including info on standing in our board elections. You can also read more from current Board members on what the role involves here.
If you have any news stories, please email our communications team on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Richard & Jools
- National Railway Museum call for objects and stories
- East Midlands Railway Community Fund now open
- Bus Users UK launch Catch the Bus Month this September
- Glossop Station artist back by popular demand
- Community rail partnership leads try-the-train trip in support of breastfeeding campaign
- Friends of Honiton Station showcase ‘Adopt a Pot’ project in time for Stations in Bloom
- South East Lancashire CRP bring weekend bus service to RHS Bridgewater
- Local limestone sculpted into 7ft Bessemer Converter at Workington Station
- Friends of Handforth Station announce exhibition of Station Connections artwork
- Platinum Plaque Project brought to life by Friends of Goostrey Station
- Kettering Station Adopters proudly display station gardening progress