Hello everyone, we hope you’re all well and managing in this heat.
Community rail funding
We sent a communication out to members last week about the developments surrounding train operators’ funding for community rail. This was also shared with train operators, and many of you will have seen stories in rail media too. We want to assure that we continue to liaise with CRPs that could be affected and work closely with DfT and train operator colleagues to help manage these challenges and minimise detriment to community rail.
As you may know, train operators have until the end of June to provide information to the DfT regarding budget adjustments. While some have already communicated their plans and have found ways to protect CRP core funding and minimise detriment, others are still finalising plans, collaborating with CRPs and Community Rail Network.
Stepping up support on fundraising
To support members during this time, our team is exploring wider funding sources within and outside the rail industry and setting out a more comprehensive programme to help members diversify and grow income, including core funding for CRP staffing.
This will include training and resources on grants, corporate and community fundraising, plus signposting key sources, direct support from the team, and tailored advice on especially relevant sources. This will take place alongside advising rail industry and government colleagues on the value and importance of funding from train operating companies. Further updates will be shared in our next few bulletins; for more immediate advice, contact your usual contact in our support & development team, and see our funding web page.
Grant funding available
We want to remind you of grants available via Community Rail Network, including the DfT’s Community Rail Development Fund for accredited CRPs and Small Grants Fund for England, plus small grants from TfGM and SWR. We plan to announce our 2023-24 Integrated Sustainable Transport Fund soon. We are also assessing the requirements of the DfT’s Community Rail Development Fund and providing advice to DfT on potential adjustments during these challenging times. We will keep you informed.
Evidencing your value
A big part of how we can protect and secure wider funding is by evidencing our impact and value. Don’t forget, we offer a free tool for members to help you do just that. Find more information on getting set up on Impact.
Better Transport Week
This week we’re supporting Campaign for Better Transport’s Better Transport Week, celebrating sustainable transport. On Monday, Jools attended a roundtable on the future of rail, and we’re championing activities through the week on social media, including a ‘love your station’ competition. Find out more.
Jeremy and Jools
- Your chance to get involved in Rail Safety Week (26 June – 2 July)
- Could connecting communities by rail be the gateway to a revitalised rail industry?
- Host a ‘Great Train Together’ this June
- Engage with Flight Free UK to inspire people to travel without flying
- From Stockton to Stanhope: a liberating day out for people seeking sanctuary
- Rail safety workshops inspires new group of station adopters
- Eye-catching artwork unveiled at Mansfield Station
- Gloucestershire CRP and Community Connexions launch Slimbridge Shuttle Bus
- Station adoption groups encouraged to enter Cumbria in Bloom
- Friends of Glossop Station unveil latest exhibition of community artwork
- Destination Wellbeing: Northern’s ‘Year in Industry’ students return to the Bentham Line
- Uckfield Station provides ‘shop window of opportunity’ to local community
- Far North Line becomes ninth community rail partnership in Scotland
- Local artists continue breathing new life into Upper Warlingham Station